Hallo, Gast!

09-06-2012, 11:42 PM | Beitrag #1
Happyghast 
[Bild: OdKUN.png]

Introduction

Hello, I'm Happyghast. I've been using GIMP for about 3 years now, so I decided to share most of my knowledge in using GIMP. Feel free to ask any questions below or suggest new tutorials.
In this tutorial I am covering more of a style that works with everything, if you want a tutorial that has more BFH related stuff, check out Acetonium's GIMP tutorial.

[Bild: MFjMS.png]

Before you start this tutorial, make sure you have the latest version of GIMP. (2.8) If you do not have GIMP yet, you may download it for free here.
Once you have the latest version of GIMP you may continue with the tutorial.

Here are some useful brushes

that will be used in some parts of this tutorial:

Note that I will update this list eventually as I add more tutorials here.

Here are the brushes that are currently used in this tutorial:

Sumi Strokes Brush Strokes:
http://qbrushes.net/wp-content/plugins/d...trokes.zip
High Quality Brush Strokes:
http://www.deviantart.com/download/12269...ee_doo.rar
Blood Splatters:
http://www.deviantart.com/download/20031...3b9ckp.abr

Note that these are just my favorite brushes, if you have ones that you prefer you may use them. Also note that Photoshop brushes work with GIMP.

[Bild: F59qu.png]

Q: How do I install brushes?
A: 32 & 64 bit OS (GIMP 2.8) Go to '*Your username* -> GIMP 2.8 -> Brushes. Paste any ABR, VBR, or GBR files in there.
Here is a visual tutorial on adding brushes: http://www.battlefieldheroes.com/en/foru...pid5358618

Note that ABR, VBR and GBR files do not need to be extracted. GIMP can use Photoshop brushes also.

Q: Where can I download fonts?
A: http://www.dafont.com/

Q: After I've downloaded fonts from Dafont, how do I install them?
A: Windows XP: Copy the TTF file to C://WINDOWS/Fonts. (This method also works for Vista and 7)

Windows Vista/7: Right click on the TTF file and press install.

Q: How can I add transparency to my signature?
A: Right click on any layer with a bold name like this and press "Add alpha channel". Now when you erase instead of white, stuff will show up as a light and dark gray checkerboard. This will show up transparent on any site or image viewer.

[Bild: pQ983.png]

Making a border

In this tutorial I will show you how to make my 2 favorite types of borders for images.

Note that these borders will work on any shape as long as the image you're using has transparency.

#1: 1px Black border

Although small and simple, the 1px black border does it's job without taking up too much of the image.

Step one: Open your image, go to the Layers tab and right click on the layer which you want the border on, then press Alpha to Selection.

Step two: Go to select -> Shrink and shrink it by 1 pixel, and then do Ctrl+I. Switch to the Bucket tool (Shift+B) and set it to 'Fill Whole Selection'. Set your primary color to black and click somewhere in the selection. Go to Select -> None, and your border is done.

#2: Classic Battlefield Heroes style border.

Make your signature completely Battlefield Heroes Style with this simple yet awesome border.

Step one: Open your image, go to the Layers tab and right click on the layer which you want the border on, then press Alpha to Selection.

Step two: Go to Select -> Shrink and shrink the selection by 3 pixels, and then do Ctrl+I. Switch to the Bucket tool (Shift+B) and set it to 'Fill Whole Selection'. Set your primary color to white and click.

Step three: Go to Select -> Shrink and shrink the selection by 1. Set your primary color to black and click somewhere in the selection. Go to Select -> None, and your border is done.

[Bild: EIggG.png]

Fading image

Step one: Open your image. Right click on your layer in the Layers box (right side of the screen) and press Add Alpha Channel. (If this button is not able to be clicked, your image already has alpha channel).

Step two: Open the Ellipse Tool (E) and check off the 'Feather Edges' box. The higher the number you set it to, the more fading there is. Choose a number between 35 and 100 for the Feather Edges box and drag your selection with the mouse. Release when you think it's good.

Step three: Do Ctrl+I on your keyboard and press the Del or Delete button (Can be found on the right side of your keyboard). Go to Select -> None and your image is done.

[Bild: UOzO6.png]

Making a Brush Stroke shaped signature

Step one: Open your image. Right click on your layer in the Layers box (right side of the screen) and press Add Alpha Channel. (If this button is not able to be clicked, your image already has alpha channel).

Step two: Switch to the Paintbrush Tool (P) and select your choice of Brush Stroke brushes. (Links can be found in the Getting Started section).

Step three: Make a new layer (Layer -> New Layer or Ctrl+Shift+N) and paint the shape you want using the brushes

Step four: Right click on the layer with the shape drawn on it in the Layers box and press Alpha to Selection. Then do Ctrl+I, select the background layer, and press the Delete or Del key (Can be found on the right side of your keyboard). Then go to Select -> none, delete your shape layer, and you're done.

[Bild: vRWjn.png]

How to have an image stick out on the top but not the bottom of a shape

Step one: Open the image with the shape and the image you want to put on the shape. If the image you want to put on the shape doesn't have transparency around it, you can right click on it in the Layers box, do Alpha to selection, take out the Lasso tool (F), select it by making lines around it, doing Ctrl+I and then pressing Delete or Del (Can be found on the right side of your keyboard).

Step two: Right click on the shape layer in the Layers box and press Alpha to Selection. then left click on the image layer in the Layers box and take out the Eraser tool (Shift+E). Erase the image layer below the shape and go to Select -> None when you have everything erased. Now you don't have the bottom of the image cut off.

Note that this also works with sticking out the bottom but not the top.

[Bild: WiOFO.png]

[Bild: vJ7MM.png]

Mugshot editing

Here is a quicker and easier mugshot editing tutorial thanks to Gimmella: http://www.battlefieldheroes.com/en/foru...pid5399132

Step one: Open your mugshot and play with the Color settings. You can duplicate the Mugshot layer, set the layer style to Overlay and use the Colorize tool, use the Color Balance tool, the Hue Saturation tool, the Brightness/Contrast Tool, etc. They're all under the Color tab at the top. Then remove pixels if there are any. To remove pixels around the edge you can right click on your mugshot layer in the Layers box , go to Select -> Feather, feather the selection by 3, do Ctrl+I, delete, and then go to select -> None. To remove pixels on the inside of the hero, use the Smudge tool (S) using Fuzzy brush and rate set to 10.

Step two: After you're satisfied with the color of your mugshot, right click on it in the Layers box and click on Alpha to Selection. Make a new layer and draw shadow where you think it would go. I use the 2. hardness 025 brush at the 100, 45, 20, and 10 settings for shading usually. Here is an image by CriscoSpectrum that might help you with shading: http://i44.tinypic.com/vcte2w.jpg

Step three: After you've drawn all the shading, go to Select -> None. Then lower the opacity of the shading layer until the color of the shadow is realistic. Now it's time for light. Do Alpha to Selection on the mugshot again and make another new layer. Follow CriscoSpectrum's guide for the light and then go to Select -> None and lower the opacity on the lighting layer.

Step four: Now time for some shadow under your hero's feet. Make a new layer and put it under the mugshot layer. Switch to the Paintbrush Tool, (P) take the Fuzzy brush with the color black and draw the shadow under his feet. Lower the opacity when done. You can also add blood using Blood Splatter brushes. Go to Filters -> Enhance -> Sharpen and sharpen your mugshot by 10-20. Your mugshot is now edited.

[Bild: bvMZu.png]

Background Editing

Step one: Open your Background and play with the Color settings. You can duplicate the Background layer, set the layer style to Overlay and use the Colorize tool, use the Color Balance tool, the Hue Saturation tool, the Brightness/Contrast Tool, etc. They're all under the Color tab at the top.

Step two: Note that this step is completely optional. You can now add different types of noise (Filters -> Noise) or blur your background (Filters -> Blur). You can also mess with other filters, etc. Another useful tool can be found under Tools -> GEGL Operation. Once you're satisfied with the way everything looks, you're done. Wink

Here is a video example of background editing: http://youtu.be/T5sx1NxFyPM

[Bild: FGst1.png]

Glowing Eyes

Step one: Make a new layer over the image of your hero. Select the Fuzzy brush and use red for a color (You can use other colors for different color glowing eyes). Paint the red (Or other color) over the hero's eyes. Then take an orange (Or different color) and set the brush size to half the size you used before. Draw the center of the eyes.

Step two: Go to Tools -> GEGL Operation -> Box Blur and blur it by 3. Then set the layer style to Addition and your glowing eyes are done.

[Bild: Is7T1.png]

How to make rain

Step one: Make a new layer over the background layer and switch to the Bucket Tool (Shift+B). Select 'Pattern Fill' and select the Rain pattern. Use the Rain pattern on the new layer and go to Colors -> Desaturate and use the Luminosity setting.

Step two: Set the Rain layer to Multiply mode. Now go to Colors -> Brightness/Contrast on the Background layer, lower the brightness and raise the contrast until it looks like a rainy day. Your rain background edit is done.

[Bild: ipDju.png]

[Bild: Ep89T.png]

3D Text

Step one: Start with a font. In this example I will be using Flipbash. Type in the text you would like to make 3d. This tutorial works better with colors (not white/black/gray), so I recommend you use them.
After you have typed your text, left click on your font layer in the Layers panel, and go to layer -> Autocrop layer.

Step two: Duplicate your text layer and go to Layer -> Scale layer. Raise the height by 1. Duplicate your scaled up layer and repeat, ~3-6 times (depending on the size of your text). Then switch to the Align Tool (Q) and move every layer to the center (Do this by pressing the two buttons circled in this image, click on a layer to select it and have the buttons enabled). This is to line them up so that the 3D text looks correct.

Step three: Depending on how many layers you have (example, I have 4 layers of my text, so I will use 60), decrease the brightness on the lower layers (colors -> brightness/contrast). Since I have 4, the lowest will be decreased by 60, the one above it 40, the one above that one 20, and the top one will remain the same. Merge all the text layers together. If you want, you can go to the Dodge/burn tool (Shift+D) and add a dodge line in the center to make it look more 3D. You now have 3D text. (Use a brush size of about the center 4 letters, and use default settings. Also use Fuzzy bruzh).

[Bild: uqf3O.png]

Updates:

June 9th, 2012: Tutorial created

October 23rd, 2012: Added 3D text tutorial

October 24th, 2012: Added "Text editing" banner

November 13th, 2012: New main banner

November 25th, 2012: Background editing video

December 1st, 2012: Added link to visual brush adding tutorial.

December 10th, 2012: Added link to Gimmella's simpler and easier mugshot editing tutorial.

That's it for now, will make more tutorials on request.

(Dieser Beitrag wurde zuletzt bearbeitet: 10-12-2012 06:10 PM von Happyghast.)
Alle Beiträge dieses Benutzers finden
Diese Nachricht in einer Antwort zitieren
09-06-2012, 11:55 PM | Beitrag #2
Koprio 
Thank you lots for the brushes!
I was in dire need of some more. Big Grin

10-06-2012, 12:39 AM | Beitrag #3
Sgt.MatthewBaker 
I am so taking notes.

[Bild: scaled.php?server=525&filename=sig7h...es=landing]
10-06-2012, 06:41 AM | Beitrag #4
Tom073 
Nice job ghastie!

The way you use Gimp is so much different than mine. Tongue
One suggestion that I noticed when reading through your guide.
You're saying while inverting the selection that "press Ctrl + I". People might get some confusion and use their 'L' key instead of 'i' key.
You should change that. Wink

Also there was few new things I learned from this, thanks!
And keep it up.

[Bild: awsig.png]

(Dieser Beitrag wurde zuletzt bearbeitet: 10-06-2012 06:42 AM von Tom073.)
10-06-2012, 10:59 AM | Beitrag #5
Wirhampaul 
Nice job here

Gernhardt Ryan Holzen
10-06-2012, 02:06 PM | Beitrag #6
ertyboi 
awesome happy

and if you have some more stroke brushes i would love it

[Bild: 20765_s.gif]
10-06-2012, 03:29 PM | Beitrag #7
Jballer77 
Really nice, I didnt know how to make rain

[Bild: sSoTeyp.png]
10-06-2012, 03:32 PM | Beitrag #8
Happyghast 
Just realized that 2.8 is out.
Updating with new features soon™. :3
EDIT: Added new brush install for 2.8 and new named for fuzzy brushes.

(Dieser Beitrag wurde zuletzt bearbeitet: 10-06-2012 03:48 PM von Happyghast.)
11-06-2012, 10:45 PM | Beitrag #9
webskull 
Maybe add a text editing tutorial? I love this guide.

[Bild: s2wopk.png]
(Dieser Beitrag wurde zuletzt bearbeitet: 11-06-2012 10:45 PM von webskull.)
11-06-2012, 11:07 PM | Beitrag #10
Crazeeman 
Terrible.

[Bild: 9809_s.gif]
Time on forums: Over 4 years|Mug editing tut|Steam ID:KeNt
14-06-2012, 11:58 PM | Beitrag #11
Happyghast 
(11-06-2012 10:45 PM)webskull schrieb:  Maybe add a text editing tutorial? I love this guide.
The problem with text editing is that there are so many different styles and fonts. Most styles only work with a few fonts...

15-06-2012, 12:16 AM | Beitrag #12
Crazeeman 
(14-06-2012 11:58 PM)Happyghast schrieb:  
(11-06-2012 10:45 PM)webskull schrieb:  Maybe add a text editing tutorial? I love this guide.
The problem with text editing is that there are so many different styles and fonts. Most styles only work with a few fonts...

and SGIMP sux for text editing. If thats what you want PS is where it's at >:3

[Bild: 9809_s.gif]
Time on forums: Over 4 years|Mug editing tut|Steam ID:KeNt
16-06-2012, 07:50 AM | Beitrag #13
GuiltyGreen 
I've had GIMP for a while but for some reason never tried to use it well. Thanks for the guide and tips, I'm going to attempt making some signatures now!

[Bild: 4v4rkg.png]
17-06-2012, 04:12 AM | Beitrag #14
Prototy9e 
Best guide in my opinion. Helped me a lot!. Big Grin

[Bild: 800pxautoracingwhitesvg.png]

19-06-2012, 02:23 PM | Beitrag #15
Dethro 
Great tutorial! Smile

[Bild: 30ry0xj.png]
22-06-2012, 07:03 AM | Beitrag #16
Hirokid 
Good information here.

(Dieser Beitrag wurde zuletzt bearbeitet: 22-06-2012 07:18 AM von Hirokid.)
22-06-2012, 01:44 PM | Beitrag #17
Nomis. 
Hey I would love to have my own sig
And this tutorial is very handy
but i cant download gimp (my parents)
anyone who wants to make mine for practice ?
Thanks a Lot
24-06-2012, 01:06 PM | Beitrag #18
akdjakfshaksfjk 
i love this tutorial but i stay bad at editing =P

http://i48.tinypic.com/v4x7oj.jpg
Salvenius has edited this signature due to it being too big. Maximum size is 900 pixels in width by 250 pixels in height (Dieser Beitrag wurde zuletzt bearbeitet: 24-06-2012 01:08 PM von akdjakfshaksfjk.)
08-07-2012, 01:57 PM | Beitrag #19
Happyghast 
This needs a bump. :|

08-07-2012, 02:16 PM | Beitrag #20
Jballer77 
Bump.

[Bild: sSoTeyp.png]